Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why an Art Theme?



Most folks know me as “Rick the pastor” or “Erik and Olivia’s dad” or “Leroy’s partner.”  There are only a few who know me solely from my work as an artist, and I admit it’s a pleasure to slip into that other role once in a while.  I don’t get to do it often enough.  The sabbatical will give me an opportunity to just be “Rick the artist” for three whole months.  I can’t wait! 

The Celsus Library; Ephesus, Turkey
The seeds for the sabbatical theme were sown thirteen years ago.  At the end of a year in residence studying for a Doctor of Ministry degree, I traveled to the Holy Lands with Dr. Ben Witherington III.  Dr. Witherington is a prominent New Testament scholar, and he taught a class on-site in Israel.  The students were required to keep a journal.  Instead of taking a lot of notes, I started sketching ancient columns and statues.  I thought I might get a bad grade for not following instructions, but Dr. Witherington liked the drawings and made a copy of my journal for display in the seminary library.  Several years later when he came to Western New York, I volunteered to drive him to the airport after a lecture.  I suggested to him that the very lengthy books he wrote would be much more interesting with pictures.  On the spot, he invited me to illustrate his next book.  Over the last several years, I contributed to other books, and in a recent (Nov. 2012) release by Oxford University Press, he referred to me as his “long-time illustrator.”

When applying for the Lilly Grant for Clergy Renewal, I related the story above and expressed my desire to return to the Holy Lands with pen in hand and do more on-site drawing.  I also described my ongoing interest in photography and my wish to create a book filled with drawings, photos, and written reflections.  Since I consider cooking to be an art-form of its own, I proposed classes in Mediterranean cooking to fill out the theme of finding and creating beauty in the Lands of the Bible.  I stated that “the arts feed my spirit, connect me with God, and renew my passion for life and vocation.”  The folks at Lilly must have liked the arts theme, since they approved the application.

The grant has already paid for a camera (Olympus PEN E-PL2) that I am learning to use and is the perfect size for travel.  An Ipad, also funded by the grant, will be used for the blog entries that will be edited and fill extra pages in the self-published book.  The drawing supplies are also covered, but are rather inexpensive – just a pad of paper and some extra Rapidograph pen tips and black ink.  Cooking classes will likely be taken at the Sorrento Cooking School near Naples, Italy, and at the Malborghetto Restaurant in Lecchi, Tuscany.

I feel super-blessed to be able to focus on art for three months this year.  Just the opportunity to travel and see new places is an enormous gift; the time and tools to create art are an indescribably wonderful bonus.  I look forward to sharing some photos and reflections on this blog from April through June!